Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Writing A Top Selling Novel in a Month


I read an article about a self-publishing author, Kim Linwood, who wrote a top selling novel in a month and took another month or so to publish it and sold 120,00 copies. It was her first book.
In her interview she made perfect sense about how she got there.
She researched the top selling novels on Kindle.
She wrote in the new genre New Adult and the top selling Step-brothers books.
She had an editor. She wrote the book, about 60,000words, proof-read it, and send it off to her editor.
Her editor did a quick read, as a reader, and sent back comments about the story in general.
The author edited and sent it back to her editor. for a line edit and proof read.
The author edited it and published it in print and e-book format.
She had a cover designer do the cover.
Kim had no brand or social network presence.
She did have some other authors promote her book online.  If you'd like to read the interview you can find it at http://mmjayewrites.com/2015/06/02/first-time-author-creates-a-bestseller-in-two-months-the-phenomenal-kim-linwood/
 
I'm thinking I need to research and develop a selling plan for my next book.
So do I write to what the market is buying or  what I like to write? That is the conundrum.
 
What do you write - and why?Do you have a fully developed plan?

6 comments:

  1. Interesting interview with her. She seems to have gotten lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luck definitely helped. But she did research what was selling today and I gather it's stepbrother stories. (Who knew?) So that's what she wrote.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It depends on whether you want to be a writing factory, like Erle Stanley Gardner or Russell Brand, get rich and lose your soul. Or write for fun, not get rich, but preserve your soul. It's a Faustian question!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, John. I love your post and completely agree with you - soul or money.

      Delete
  4. I started writing when I lost my voice and couldn't continue with my acting career in NYC. Creative juices still flowed and though I didn't know how to to write, I knew scripts and had watched enough directors and fine actors to begin. I've been writing for five years, signed with a small publishing house right away and that's my story. Romance/suspense and survive and thrive. I don't 'get' other styles.
    Wonderful that she went with a business plan and succeeded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by Charmaine, and sharing your story. I'm glad you found a way to keep your creative juices flowing. I think she's a reminder that you need a clearly defined plan.

      Delete