Monday, June 1, 2015

Tuesday Tips & Tweaks

 
Sorry guys, but the author booked for this spot didn't send the information. I didn't want to post another personal tip so I'm posting a health tip about new foods from my website. Enjoy and be healthy.

Black is the New Green
I read an interesting article on the new foods this year, so I thought I’d share it with you.

Apparently black foods possess greater amounts of antioxidants due to their color. The author recommends including these foods into your diet.
Blackberries have high levels of anti-oxidants and vitamin C.

Black rice, which I had never heard of, contains high levels of vitamin E, antioxidants, and also contains vitamin B’s, calcium, magnesium and zinc and has a low gylcemic index. It doesn’t cook well in a rice cooker.
Black Beluga lentils, another food I’d never heard of, has 16 grams of cholesterol lowering, blood stabilizing fibre, 18 grams of protein, 40 grams of carbs, less than 1 gram of fat and only 230 calories in one cup. It also contains folate and magnesium.
Black bean shave bio-flavonoids, fibre and protein as well as antioxidant and anti-inflammatory protection. I have heard of this one, eat it often and like it.

Wines from black grapes, or any grape, in moderation can lower the risk of heart attacks, heart disease, strokes, Type 2 diabetes, gallstones, cataracts, colon cancer and mental decline. I do love that wine. And in Europe wine is considered a food. The darker colored, black grapes have higher antioxidants. Some of the black grapes are: Bonardo from Argentina, Carmenere from Chile, Primitivo from Italy, Shiraz, or Syrah, (one of my favorites) from Australia and Tempranillo from Spain.
The article I took this information is Shari Darling. Her website is http://sharidarling.com/

Check back next week for another Tip or Tweak from an author.

8 comments:

  1. I recently tried black rice for the first time a few weeks ago and it's safe to say I'm adding it to my diet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeri for that comment. I'm looking forward to trying it.

      Delete
  2. I wish someone would fix black rice for me. Is it like the dark rice in ricearoni? lol. And blackberries have always rocked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure about the rice in ricearoni. To cook it rinse 2-3 X's; Add 1 c water and 1/2 c rice to pot at same time. Bring to boil, reduce to low temp, simmer about 25 minutes until water absorbed. Remove and let sit for 15 minutes. And I agree about blackberries,

      Delete
  3. Now I'm hungry! :) Wonderful advice!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa. Definitley some different foods to try.

      Delete
  4. Interesting. I LOVE blackberries.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me, too. Thanks for dropping by, Judy.

    ReplyDelete