Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Pets in Books wih Dorothy Callaghan

This week we’re going to find out a little about author Dorothy Callahan. October’s theme is ‘Pets in Writing’ so Dorothy will be talking about pets. She’ll also tell us a little about herself and her writing, and answer some fun questions.

Dorothy Callahan is one of those authors who annoys other authors by refusing to be tied down to one genre. If a tale demands to be told—even if she’s never read a single story like it—she’ll find a way to write the book of her heart. This is the only way to quiet those demanding characters begging to be heard.

She lives in New York with her wonderful husband, a pride of demanding cats, and two loyal dogs, all rescued from shelters (well, not the husband). Her love of both animals and writing prompted her to start READ AND RESCUE, an organization where animal-loving authors and readers can find one another. The unique aspect to this group is that each author pledges a portion of proceeds to his/her favorite animal cause.

When Dorothy is not writing, she enjoys shopping for antiques and renovating their pre-Civil War house. If you are interested in learning more about Dorothy or how to help other animals in need, please visit her at dorothycallahan.com, dorothycallahanauthor@gmail.com, Facebook at Dorothy Callahan Author, or Twitter @Callahanauthor.

 
Beverley: Are you a pet person?
Dorothy: Yup. Especially kitties. I think they’re my totem.
Beverley: Do you think pets (dogs/cats/birds/ horses/ etc.) belong in books? Why?
Dorothy: If it goes along with the story and character, yes. I know they can be a distraction if people aren’t used to them, but isn’t that the purpose of pets? To get you to pay attention to them? How does it affect the character? Is the person loving? Standoffish? Fearful? Great place to build characterization.
Beverley: Should they be the main characters? Why?
Dorothy: It really depends on the story. It seems that if pets are the main characters, it tends to be more of a children’s book, but A Dog’s Purpose throws a monkey wrench right into that stereotype, doesn’t it?
Beverley: Should animals in books talk?
Dorothy: My parrots never shut up. ;-)
Beverley: Do you include pets in your books? 
Dorothy: I find that they always work their way into mine, even if I had no intention of it at the beginning. In IMPENETRABLE, a neglected dog found its way into the story, which is great, because it prompted me to write two more books about the vet and her technician!
Beverley: Any other thoughts on pets, and pets in books?
Dorothy: I like that shifters are now no longer limited to wolves. Having said that, it just seems like there should be more dogs and cats in books. It’s not like most people don’t come in contact with a dog or cat over the course of a week.  Maybe I’m missing some authors here who write the way I do. Got any recommendations?
Beverley: Which genre or genres do you write or prefer to write?
Dorothy: I tend to focus on contemporary, but I also write all over the board. I started out (unpublished) in YA fantasy, then wrote historicals. My first published book was a contemporary, then a time travel, then paranormal. Now I’m back to contemporaries, but I’m working on a YA fantasy trilogy and planning a contemporary series with a small magical element.
Beverley: What prompted you to write in the genre/s you do?
Dorothy: Reading. EVERYTHING.
Beverley: What genres do you enjoy reading?
Dorothy: Give me an HEA any day and I’m happy.
Beverley: How long have you been writing?
Dorothy: Oh, I’ve been writing since I could draw with crayons on construction paper. I’ve been published since 2013.
Beverley: Who influenced you the most in deciding to become a writer?
Dorothy: My mother would be the biggest influence on my writing career. She’s always supported my writing. (Even kept that crayon on construction paper book I wrote. Now THAT’s a fan.) :-)  
Beverley: What obstacles did you have to overcome to begin creating your work?
Dorothy: In the beginning, it was getting the attention of the publishing houses. Since then, it’s been more of the plotting. The more books I get under my belt, the more I try to come up with challenges that keep my heroes/heroines apart and ways to show how well they mesh and belong together.
Beverley: What gets your creative juices flowing?
Dorothy: Long walks. In the summer, that’s on the Erie Canal. On godawful days like today (it’s 1/8/17 and 14 degrees out), that involves my treadmill. Walking = creating.
Beverley: What will stop your creative muse the quickest?
Dorothy: Stress. It’s a killer.
Beverley: What do you have for breakfast?
Dorothy: I’ve started making my own granola bars, much healthier than the store-bought versions. Raw peanut butter, oats, chia seeds, local honey, flax bran and veggie powder. Total yums.
Beverley: What do you wear when you are writing?
Dorothy: Slouchy clothes. I discovered sweat suits a few months ago. Told my husband I hope I don’t die it in, because I’ll be haunting the afterlife in head-to-toe gray.
Beverley: Where do you do most of your writing?
Dorothy: At my desk. It’s got a tall hutch so I don’t gaze out the window. I’m not ADHD, but dog walkers, neighbors, flitting birds, etc. all draw my eye away from my screen. Wow. That’s a big plow. Shoot. Where was I?
Beverley: Do you have a favorite cartoon character? Why?
Dorothy: Calvin and Hobbes. The best and funniest cartoon ever. (And it’s got a kitty!)
Beverley: Who would you love most to meet 'in person' and why?
Dorothy: Joss Whedon. The absolute best writer in the world. Don’t believe me? Watch Buffy. Or Avengers. Or Firefly. Total fangirl.
Beverley: If you had an unexpected free day what would you do with it?
Dorothy: Oh, I’d be here, in front of the computer, either writing or editing. When I get tired of that, I play in the kitchen, rummaging through the pantry, and tossing random items together and calling it dinner.
Beverley: What are you working on now?
Dorothy: Right now, I’m focusing on getting my newest book uploaded and ready for sale. By the time you read this? Who knows? :-)

Blurb for Crazy Little Fling

Fun loving veterinarian Carla Krasinski is finally taking her dream vacation—a week in Key West. Working overnights in emergency means she sees all the critical cases... and no sun. So this week will be seven full days of brainless meandering and sunbathing. No life-saving decisions. No winter-white skin to make a vampire quiver with envy. Nope. Just a week-long stroll under the palm trees. Having her sister out of prison means Carla’s babysitting duties of her niece are also moot this week.

And the fact her new boyfriend proposed and expects an answer when she returns? Well, that’s what a week of no decisions is for, right?

She’s one cabana boy shy of unadulterated bliss.

When DEA Agent Gunner Fitz gets the call that a possible drug deal is going down—by a woman he incarcerated and who just got released—he knows he has to follow the lead to Florida. Not only will this woman lead him to the crime boss, but also his abducted sister, the reason he went into this field in the first place. Catch the bad guy, free the girl. He’s got this. But Gunner gets sidetracked by a woman on the plane, one whose laugh captivates him. After scant minutes in her presence, Gunner knows unequivocally this is the woman he’s going to marry.

And then he gets the email: Carla’s the woman he’s supposed to trail.

If Gunner tells her the truth about his mission, he’ll lose her. If he lies, he’ll lose her.

And when Carla’s only choice is to help Gunner rescue his sister, her decisions become matter of life or death.

Thank you for allowing me to join you today. May all your days be furry!

Buy Link:
ASIN: B01M61NEE7

You can find Dorothy at:
Website: www.dorothycallahan.com
 
Don’t forget to check back next week for another author interview and discussion of pets in books.

1 comment: