Friday, December 18, 2015

Hectic Holidays vs Writing


During the sometimes hectic holidays do you find it hard to find writing time? If not, how do you handle it with the expectations of others to visit and share time together? Or do you appreciate taking a vacation from fiction to enjoy time with family and friends?

Great topic, Rhobin. Of course I do have a problem fitting my writing in over the holidays. J

What with shopping, baking, visiting, blogging, other social networking and everything else over the holiday season. I find it very hard to write I try to do at least a few words every day. I’m working on a romantic suspense set in New Orleans right now.
This year I have an extra challenge. I had a computer crash, (dead motherboard) so I had to get a new laptop about a month ago and it came with Windows 10. (sigh) So I’ve had to get used to the laptop and learn Windows 10. (I loved my Windows 7.)

If I take a vacation from writing and don’t write for several weeks, it’s like working out at the gym. If I miss a few s days or a week, it’s really hard to get back that first day. I have a million excuses why I can’t get open that draft and start working.

I try to schedule a few minutes, maybe an hour in the morning or else late at night. Then I have most of the day for everything else including Christmas parades and concerts and time with family and friends. That’s working.

I look forward to hearing how everyone else handles their writing this busy time of the year.
I'm going to turn up the Christmas music and head over to check out the following sites for how they manage this time of year.
Merry Christmas everyone!

6 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about the computer crash. That's distressing at any time of year. So is the learning curve with a new operating system. Sometimes I wish they'd just stop updating things and let me be. But then I usually discover some awesome new perk of the update so it's worth it. In the mean time, have a wonderful holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Skye. I'm with the "I wish they'd stop updating" still. I haven't found anything awesome about Windows 10 yet. Maybe it'll come.
      Happy Holidays!

      Delete
  2. I echo Skye. I lost everything on my newish pc and also had to update to windows 10. I, too, find it hard to open the draft. Must do better. anne stenhouse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wish we could choose Windows 7 or Windows 10 and upgrade if and when choose. I did buy a book to help learn it, but haven't found a lot of time to read it yet. Good luck
      with Windows 10. Happy Holidays!

      Delete
  3. Beverley, I downloaded 10 just to keep pace; now facing another learning curve. Weather also plays a part in my holiday writing dysfunction. Looking forward to the release of your New Orleans story setting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rhobin. You downloaded it voluntarily? Just kidding. At least you chose to use it. Do you like it? Happy Holidays!

      Delete