Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Christmas Movies and Writing

I write contemporary romantic suspense. This holiday season, because of Covid, the US/Canada border is closed. I couldn’t head south to avoid the cold. So, I’m here in the snow and cold. And we have a Covid lockdown. I’m stuck in the house. I should be writing but I’m binging on Christmas movies. I think it’s part of Covid isolation and fatigue. It’s not the classics I’m watching like Miracle on 34th St, It’s a Wonderful Life, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Scrooge, etc. I’m calling it research. (I’m hiding as I confess this.)                                                                                                                                                I’m watching hours of the Hallmark type Christmas stories. Do you know how many of those are on every day? I find it interesting. The stories read more like earlier romance. The h/h don’t kiss until the final scene when The End comes up. There’s no sex or sexual intimacy. There’s very little touching. There’s conflict, a plot that revolves around a conflict. The h/h goals and their conflict and a romance triangle. All is resolved in the end and we have the HEA ending. Usually the ending is the h/h kissing in front of Christmas trees and decorations. Sigh…

I enjoy these movies. They take you out of the world we live in these days. I can’t believe the Christmas decorations in each movie. The houses are lighted up inside and out. My house is decorated but nothing like the movie houses. It takes you into a magical world. They’re feel-good stories. The characters all smile, with their sparkling white teeth. But It’s nice to see smiles. In the real-world smiles and laughter aren’t that common these days. I’m wondering if maybe I need to write this type or romance. I could still throw in a murder and a body but keep the romance more innocent showing hope to the reader.

If you write romance – suspense, sci-fi- steampunk, paranormal, whatever, what do you think? Should we go back in time and write more about feelings and love than sexual conflict? I’d love to hear your thoughts if you have a chance to share while getting ready for a different and non-hallmark Christmas..


1 comment: