Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Is There Really Writers Block?


I remember a few years back someone said there’s no such thing as writer’s block.
What?

Then why am I stuck in a scene or a chapter and can’t write anything.? I do a few sentences and then delete them. I stare and the screen and try to find the words I think I want to write next. My characters refuse to cooperate. Isn’t that writer’s block?
Apparently not. I was told it meant I didn’t know my characters well enough. I was trying to get them to do things that didn’t fit them. Or I didn’t have a handle on the plot, or the conflict, and what I was trying to write didn’t work. I needed to go back and look at the story, the plot, work on an outline, develop that outline, figure out where I had taken a wrong turn. Maybe I needed to do more research. It wasn’t writer’s block. It was me, and I didn’t know my story well enough.
Every time I run into a wall I remember this and go back. Usually I find I’m trying to do something that doesn’t fit.

What about you? Do you believe in writer’s block? And if so, how do you solve it? 

7 comments:

  1. Interesting perspective. I hadn't thought of it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard the expression time and time again yet I've never experienced writer's block. I reread and move on. Good blog probably touches many hearts and minds of writers at this minute, holding heads and moaning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the post Charmaine. Bev - (chuckling)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is this a new footwear in town? The shoes looks really http://www.sentencecreator.com/about-us/ comfortable and designs are nice. Do share the prices and the location of the outlets from where we can buy them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. By the time I am writing this comment http://www.rewordmypaper.org/check-out-this-helpful-rewording-sample/, the subculture of goth includes punk, steampunk, and bikers. But not sure about the other disgusting activities.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is this tool a threat to marketing people directly? If this tool is available, an employer would not need to hire a marketing team http://www.rephraseonline.com/best-service-paper-rewriting/, instead he can search customers himself.

    ReplyDelete