StatCounter

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Self-pubbed and Small Press


It’s the end of the month and tomorrow we change our theme from 'Genres' to 'Self–pubbed/traditional and other writing formats'.
I thought I’d kick off the subject so, a day early, I’m writing on my experiences. Many years ago when small presses started to show up I met with an editor at RWA. It wasn’t in the regular sessions RWA has. The company had a small hotel room and met with people in a separate room. I had been rejected by traditional pubs, so I pitched to Starlight. They liked the story and several more. I became one of their authors and never had any regrets. I learned the editing and revision process; how covers were designed and how much input the author had and the actual publishing process. One editor moved to another small press and I followed her there and learned a little more. It was a great experience.

I also co-authored a horror-romance. He wanted to use a different small press, so we went t with that one.

They were all good to work with, and are still around, maybe under a different name. They only drawback, and I believe it’s the same with traditional publishers these days unless you’re one of the well-known authors, was you had to do your own marketing, and you received a small percentage, in royalties. After several books, and hearing from other authors about self-publishing I decided to try that route. I’ll talk more about that next week.

Please share your experiences with any writing format. I know other people would love to hear about them. And check back Thursday for an exciting post on other writing formats.

6 comments:

  1. I agree with you. Small presses are a wonderful place to be. They know the importance of the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started out with a small press and my experience with them has been great. Now, I'm an Indie author, but I don't regret starting off with a small press.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also started out with a small press. I learned a lot and like Melissa, Judy, and yourself I have NOT regretted it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary. I think they put a lot of time into teaching us, which really helps later.

      Delete