Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Space Opera? Check Out Kayelle Allen


Kayelle Allen writes space opera with larger than life, unforgettable characters. Come walk in her worlds and meet her misbehaving robots, mythic heroes, immortal gamers, and warriors who purr.
Interview with Luc Saint-Cyr
Beverley: What's your name?
Luc: That depends. I'm immortal. I've had hundreds. For the sake of the story Kayelle Allen is telling now, let's agree it's Luc Saint-Cyr. But in the story, my king refers to me as Cyken, and a couple other older names are mentioned, plus my original name at creation was Cyr... so you see why I say "It depends."
Beverley: Where did you grow up?
Luc: I was created fully grown rather than born; on Earth in the year 2501. My first twenty years were spent traveling in the Terran Crescent, a group of thirteen planets. I don't consider Earth my home, but technically, it is.
Beverley: During what time period does your story take place?
Luc: The current Earth year is 15,111, or 4648 Tradestandard in the Tarthian Empire, far in your future.
Beverley: What's your story/back story?
Luc: How long do you have? I'm twelve thousand something. Stopped giving exact dates a few millennia ago. I'm known among humans as the Harbinger, which is my Thieves' Guild name. I'm also known as Shadow, the right hand of the king, and in this story, I'm living my first life free from his influence. Which is like saying I'm staying dry while walking through a hurricane. Not happening. But I'm trying.
Beverley: Why would someone come up with a story about you?
Luc: Kayelle loves Pietas, my king, and Senthys, who is a toddler in this story, and I come along with the package. She tells the boy's story through my eyes, and gives insight into Pietas also. Well, a bit of my story too. But the boy is far more interesting and lovable.
Beverley: What's your goal in this story?
Luc: To figure out how to keep my so-called freedom while not disappointing or undermining my king, while also figuring out how to best protect Senthys, who is a brilliant young boy. The lad shows amazing talent and I want him to have the best. At the same time, I've discovered that the Thieves' Guild, which I have led in the past, is in danger of crumbling into ruin. There are other disasters as well. My life is never easy. Not complaining, mind you, but it would be nice if Kayelle gave me a break now and then.
Beverley: What conflicts are you facing?
Luc: What am I not? My king, with whom I had a torrid relationship for centuries has promised me this life as a free man, not serving him directly. After thousands of years of service, I deserve one, don't I? Although he and I have not been a "couple" for too many centuries to count, Pietas has never given up on the idea that I'll come back to him. I'm convinced he's orchestrated the various disasters in this story just to win me back. The man does not understand the words "done, over you, or not happening." What makes it even worse is that although I have solid reasons for not being with him, I still love him.
Beverley: Do you have a plan for resolving them?
Luc: A plan? Can you hear me laughing? I swear, making a plan around Pietas is like building a house with a deck of cards in a windstorm. I'm trying. But it seems there is someone outside our circle of influence who is undermining everything I do. It's quite vexing. That last sentence sounded exactly like Pietas.
Beverley: Is there anything else you'd like us to know about you?
Luc: I always try to do the right thing, and I'm so loyal to Pietas that I earned the name Shadow. I stick that close to his side. A less flattering name for me is the King's Dog. This life, being on my own, is exciting -- and at the same time -- terrifying. But overall, my strongest goal is to serve the mission and serve the king.

Interview with Lord Pietas
Beverley: What's your name?
Pietas Pietas. I've used other names in other lives, but "Pietas" is who I am at heart. It's one of the Greek virtues. I am nothing like what it represents, and I like it that way.
Beverley: Where did you grow up?
Pietas On Earth, in a tiny town in Wales called Nevern. It's a real place in your world. You can look it up.
Beverley: During what time period does your story take place?
Pietas In my people's time period, it's the Peril year 1944, the Earth year 15,111, and 4648 Tradestandard. Your far, far future.
Beverley: What's your story/back story?
Pietas I was born as a twin. I have a sister minutes younger. I adore her but every single time we get together we are at each other's throats. Figuratively. So far. I worked my way up the ranks in my people's army, became a leader, was elected Chancellor (king), was exiled due to a wretched betrayal, and in exile, learned that humans were not the enemy I perceived them to be. Now, I'm trying to make up for the carnage I inflicted when I was a soldier, but having an immortal waltz in and tell humans what to do simply doesn't work. I've tried that. So instead, my followers and I protect and guide in secret. I'm sorry, what was your original question? I tend to ramble.
Beverley: Why would someone come up with a story about you?
Pietas What a silly question. I'm the king. I'm quite fascinating as a person. Ask any of my followers. They'll tell you. But please keep in mind that you should discount the word "narcissist" -- my followers use it to try keeping me humble. Poor deluded souls. As if that wasn't my nature already.
Beverley: What's your goal in this story?
Pietas To win Cyken back (you probably think of him as Luc), and to keep a type of advanced space travel out of the hands of an enemy, while keeping that specific knowledge away from Cyken. If he knew the truth, he would balk. I've had to resort to trickery with him countless times. Yes, he is loyal to a fault, and he loves me, but he's so headstrong that I must constantly work to... let's not say "control" him. Let's say I try to do what's best for him, because he doesn't always recognize what that is. But I do.
Beverley: What conflicts are you facing?
Pietas What am I not? Cyken, an unseen enemy, my sister, Cyken... and did I say Cyken?
Beverley: Do you have a plan for resolving them?
Pietas My darling, if I revealed that here, it would not serve me well. I shall keep that to myself.
Beverley: Is there anything else you'd like us to know about you?
Pietas Yes. I'm Kayelle's favorite. You should see her website! Pictures of me are all over it. Well, actually, they are pictures of Nik Nitsvetov dressed as me, but the likeness is uncanny. Looking at him is like looking into a mirror. He even captures what Cyken so annoyingly calls my "broody look." Honestly, why Cyken fascinates me I cannot fathom. But that's how love is. You love someone despite their difficulties and foibles. I'm Welsh by birth. We understand the concept hiraeth. It means longing for something you've never had, never will have, but did have, and an ache for what might have been. It's a difficult word to define. It comes upon you like a shroud, or a cloak. I have hiraeth on me for Cyken. I will never be free of him. Which is probably the most important thing you can know about me.


Blurb for A Stolen Heart
Sci-Fi with romantic elements and an adorable little hero.
When he rescues a half-human orphan, a glorified space pirate turned entrepreneur sets in motion a chain of events that threatens to topple the powerful Thieves' Guild he once led.
Multiple layers of conspiracy unfold, reaching all the way to Luc's immortal ex--the king. Behind each solved mystery looms an unseen foe, undoing the good Luc accomplishes. For the sake of this child, Luc must postpone his own freedom and master his desire for revenge or he will violate an ancient vow. Worse, he'll put the toddler at risk.
At war with his compassion for the vulnerable child, loyalty to the king, duty to the Guild, and the bright lure of freedom he's coveted for centuries, Luc seeks the right path. Will he choose liberty and unparalleled success, or restore the Thieves' Guild to its former glory while overseeing the child's training?
A hard choice for any man. For an immortal whose inner monster can destroy on sight? Impossible.
A pirate with a monstrous past can never be trusted with an innocent child. Luc must ensure the child is protected, safe, nowhere near danger. Nowhere near him. Even if this little boy has already stolen his heart...

Buy Links for
Free on Kindle Unlimited

Social Links for Kayelle:


2 comments:

  1. Oh this was so fun to read back through. I had a delightful time answering these questions as the two characters. Thank you for having me over, Beverley. It was so sweet of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to mention... that gorgeous blond is Nik Nitsvetov as Pietas. Nik cosplayed my character for me in 2018 (with the cape) and again in 2019 in sci-fi armor. OMG - this guy is hot. And he's soooo sweet. I just love him. :)

    ReplyDelete