Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Are Mixed Genres Important?


How important are genres and mixed genres in this day to publishing in today's market? What do you look for when you’re picking a book to read?
I have posted books to this site that are a sci-fi, paranormal suspense romance with a touch of fantasy. Would you buy this book?
How many genres are there today?
Nonfiction books





 
Suspense
 
 Romance Novels- sweet, suspense, western, historical



 Thriller Novels– legal, medical


Short stories

Memoirs

Cookbook

Graphic novels

Literature and Fiction

Western

Historical

Paranormal

Women’s fiction
 
Help me out here. I copied the first list of genres down to short stories from Predators and Editors. Then I checked Amazon’s list and added the next four. I looked at the list and added the next four I thought were missing.

Then I went back and started to add sub-genres. I’m finding it a little overwhelming. As I’ve said previously, my books are romantic suspense, but contemporary western romantic suspense, with a touch of paranormal.
So, what genres am I missing? What about sub-genres?

9 comments:

  1. What about a historical western romance, contemporary western romance with paranormal elements, YA dystopian romance, NA horror/suspense romance... So many... I still choose based on the cover and blurb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beverly, I think most books are mixed-genres when you drill down into the story line.
    I write romantic suspense, but it's really a romantic detective action thriller series with humor. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aren't all books mixed genres these days? What about science fiction romance? It used to be called Futuristic romance, but those of us who write SFR are trying to change it. Despite all the genres/subgenres, I'll read a book because (like Melissa) I like the topic (blurb) and a cover that catches my eye and gives me a clue to the tone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a science fiction romance set on Earth a few years from now. So it is paranormal romance or sci-fi? It can also be called speculative fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How about romantic comedy? tee hee hee. And then there's romantic comedy mysteries.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, these paintings are so nice. I particularly love the attention to details such as the earwig hole on the
    try this websiteapple and the colour blending.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If something has been modified or changed http://www.sentencechanger.com/best-sentence-rewriter-online/, it should be notified through mail or online. The land law is not something understandable easily.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I believe I need to bookmark your blog to read more such view it now articles and see your work as it looks good and amazing. Thank you for sharing it with us

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a good site. And the writer is so much skill full in this position. The post will be the best in this blog. I know this is so informative in this time. And you also know that a blog will famous when It's post is quality full.

    ReplyDelete